Saturday, December 3, 2011

Buddy

Most of you have probably heard of Elf on the Shelf or have one. Ours is named Buddy. If you're on Pinterest, then you have also seen all the neat, fun things to do with the elf. I think a lot of these are super cute ideas- like setting him next to spilled sugar and making it look like he wrote his name in it or made a snow angel in it. Sadly, we can't do that at our house. My children have poor self restraint. The story goes, if you touch the elf, he can't fly back to the north pole to see Santa. I am positive that within one second of seeing Buddy within reaching distance, Buddy would be grabbed and taken and fought over and possibly unintentionally ripped apart. So, Buddy finds himself situated in high, safe, uncreative places and positions in ohr house. It works.

Disclaimer: we want our kids to focus on Jesus at Christmas and not Santa, so we make sure to explain that Santa and Buddy help us celebrate Jesus' birthday and remembering that Jesus is the best gift of all. It's still a work in progress.

2 comments:

  1. Elvin, our elf, stays high, too. We've managed to do some fun things with him high, though. The other day he was in a helicopter rescuing one of Nate's imaginext guys hanging from the chandelier in our kitchen. :) I've found it surprisingly easy to just say 'Elvin is in a new place each morning and this is something fun we do at Christmastime. They have enjoyed it and I've only mentioned Elvin once as a reminder to behave--on the first day and it failed miserably, so I just stopped....I tend to over think and it's been nice to remember that they don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just recently found out about the Elf on the Shelf. I can't wait to try it (maybe next year?) with Noah!

    ReplyDelete