Thursday, March 29, 2012

Crockpot whole chicken

Ever since we got live chickens, I've had a false sense of "farm girl". I went out and bought tomato plants last night assuming that I can keep them alive all summer so that we can have homegrown tomatoes. Y'all, I've never been able to keel a plant alive more than a couple of months, and that is FOREVER for me. I think I can hear plants scream "ruuuuuuuuuunnnnn!" when I walk into the gardening section of stores. If only they could run.

Anyways....all that to say that I've gotten a little more confident in my ability to do things in a semi-old fashioned way. To me, old fashioned is cooking a whole chicken instead of buying the individual breasts or an already conveniently cooked chicken at the store. I'm not a chicken on the bone person, but those whole rotisserie chickens from the store just taste so darn good. Plus, I figured that I can cook a whole turkey every thanksgiving and/or Christmas, then I should be able to do a little ole chicken. That, and they had one reduced for quick sale at HEB.

Sooooo, I googled some crockpot recipes because I'm all about fixing and forgetting it. Turns out it is super simple to cook a chicken in a crockpot. Just season with dried spices, place a cut up onion in the bottom of the crockpot for the chicken to set on and turn on low for 6-7 hours or high for 4-5 hours. I am currently cooking mine, so I guess the final verdict on taste and outcome is up in the air, but I was so excited about this that I wanted to share now. I'll update you on how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment