Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Expectations

Last night, as I kissed Jackson to bed, I told him I'd miss him while he was at school. He said, "I know, but I'll see you on the 14th when we go to Georgia for Uncle Chris's wedding. A week or so ago he also said that once he started school, he wouldn't be able to go to church anymore because he'd have school. Apparently, he thinks schools 7 days a week and ALL day long and maybe some nights too.

I did the math and he's only gone one hour more than he was on his long days in preschool. But it's everyday! I get the feeling that when we go and do fun things while he's at school, it'll be like cheating on him. He's off working hard and learning (okay, it's kindergarten, it's not super hard, but still) and we are galavanting around town. I'm pretty sure most days he would choose school over hanging his lame mom and little brother and sister, if preschool was any indication last year.

I know I'm obsessing about this school thing, but I've realized that my coping mechanism for dealing with things that I can't control is to obsess and come up with every.possible.scenario.and.or.outcome. So far, I've imagined 3,457 scenariosnfor the first day of school. Only 789,837 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment