Thursday, December 2, 2010

Building a new house!!

Well, I want to build a new house in our old town of Traverse City, Michigan.  Not just any house, but a tiny house.  What is a tiny house?  Check out the plans here.  It's only 875 square feet, but why would you need anymore than that for a vacation cottage?  I've already started thinking about how I would design and decorate the inside.  I am also starting a "Someday" Folder.* 

We've thrown around the idea of buying some land on Long Lake in Traverse City, a lake that we used to live by and building a cottage.  I really really hope that in a few years we will be able to, but for now, I will dream!

As you can tell from their website, tiny houses waste no space.  This is the same philosophy behind Craftsman style houses (my fave) so it's no surprise that these appeal to me.  While I don't think I could live in a tiny house 365 days a year with my husband, two boys, and dog, I do think that it would be the perfect thing to have as a vacation home. The model that I like is the biggest house they have designed, so you know they are tiny houses when 800 something square feet is big!  It's perfect though.  We would build the 3 bedroom plan and the boys would share one room upstairs and we would take the other upstairs room.  Any guests that would come visit would have the downstairs bedroom.  In my mind, I see myself decorating in airy white/light fabrics with natural grass/sisal rugs and beachy items.  It is on a lake of course (in my mind's eye!).

Sigh, someday!

*Someday Folders:  these are folders that group together projects (houses, for me) that you want to build one day and contain ideas and inspirations for the some day that you will build the house.  I had one for 3 years for our current house.  My husband thinks I'm crazy, but I'm just a good planner...and obsessor.  I obsess over things like this and this is a good way for me to organize my obsessions.  If you have even the remotest possibility that you will one day build your own house, start one today!  Put in it floor plans, exterior plans, decorating plans, kitchen plans/pictures, etc.  It is so helpful when that one day comes and you actually have to start making all these decisions!

1 comment:

  1. how exciting! i have a folder that i've had for years, it contains things that make me swoon. i have lots of ideas! but right now, all i'm trying to do is find an industrial desk that won't break the bank...feel free to let me know if you see anything! :)

    ReplyDelete