Monday, April 4, 2011

Fancy French cupcakes

I had big afternoon plans of going to the library with Jackson when Sloan got up for a nap, but Sloan slept late and Jackson didn't, so we had to stay home.  So, we made cupcakes!  I had the cake mix, but didn't have any icing other than white or vanilla, which I do not like on my chocolate cupcakes.  I've made icing before, but I knew I did not have enough powdered sugar to make any today. Soooooo, I decided that I would try to make ganache. 
Now, usually, French foods terrify me because they always sound so complex, but I actually found a simple recipe that only used two ingredients:  heavy cream and bittersweet chocolate chips.  Good thing I had those in my pantry and refrigerator!!  It's hard to mess up something with only two ingredients, so I figured I'd give it a try.  It was SO easy!
I'd say they turned out really well, and I think this is my new favorite cupcake/cake topping!

Here's the recipe and pictures:

1/2 cup heavy cream (or just plain whipping cream worked)
8 oz semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips

-cook cream and chocolate chips in a double boiler until smooth and warm, stirring occassionally
-dip tops of cupcakes into ganache
-voila! (sorry, couldn't help but add a little more French)
heating the cream and chocolate in a double boiler


beautiful, shiny cupcakes


I can almost see my reflection in them!
 Don't worry, I won't keep them all in my house because I definitely do not need the calories.  We are going to take some to Jackson's teachers tomorrow and let them have all the calories.  (after we have a few, of course).

1 comment: