Monday, April 11, 2011

Sugar-holics anonymous

As I announced on my FB page, I am giving up sweets for the foreseeable future.  As I struggle to lose the very last bit of pregnancy weight, I realized that eating sweets and other junk just was not helping and I value my health and weight more than the tantalizing deliciousness of treats.  It's gonna be hard, folks.  I have a sweet tooth and and even bigger chocolate tooth.  I just read an article that explained when your body digests sugar, it's focused on the sugar for energy and doesn't use your fat stores, so your fat stores just sit there unused.  I'm doing all this exercising for nothing then!  I don't want sugar to get all the benefit of my workout!!

So why go cold turkey??  Because while I am moderate in most things I do, I'm not one of those people who can do sweets in moderation.  Buy a bag of M&Ms at the store:  I have to eat the whole bag in 2 days.  I don't even know if chocolate is still good beyond a week because I don't think it has ever stayed in my house that long.  So, I have to be strict and not allow ANY sweets and sugared things into my diet or else I cave.  When I fall off the "no sweet" wagon, I wait until there's a cliff nearby to make the fall hard. I'm just sayin..

So, today was my first no sweet day.  It was an ok day.  The hard part will come in a few weeks when it's 3:00 in the afternoon and my kids are whiny and driving me crazy and I'm exhausted.  THAT's when temptation will sneak in.  I will be vigilant.  I will fight on.  Sugar, you will not win this battle!

After an indefinite amount of time has past, I can see allowing myself to gorge on Saturdays.  I used to do this in college and a couple years afterwards, but got away from it. It's time to clean it up!  Woohoo!  (here's to an enthusiastic post...bear with me in the coming weeks when I lament this decision...)

1 comment:

  1. You crack me up! I DO NOT have the will power to cut out sweet! Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete