Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Better than the Box Recipe: Mac n Cheese.

My 4 year old and 11 month old both love macaroni and cheese.  I buy the whole grain kind in the box that costs 89 cents and I buy the organic "velveeta-ish" kind that costs a lot more.  I, and they, have grown tired of both kinds from the box, so tonight I decided that I was skilled enough to make homemade mac and cheese in 10 minutes.  I figured an added bonus would be that there would be no preservatives or extra "junk" in it!  It actually turned out great, so I am sharing my improvised recipe.  Measurements are not precise, so adjust as you see fit- especially depending on the type/amount of pasta you use.

Ingredients:
-1 cup uncooked miniature pasta shells (semolina or whole wheat is best)
-1/2 cup milk (any kind but skim)
-2 Tbsp flour
-2 Tbsp butter
-3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
-salt and pepper to taste

Cook pasta in boiling water until done.
In separate saucepan, heat milk and flour over medium high heat, whisking flour into milk.  Heat to simmering, then add the butter, stirring until butter is melted.  Add mozzarella cheese, stirring until melted.
Combing pasta and cheese sauce.  Serve and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment