Monday, November 8, 2010

Blank walls

Blank walls drive me crazy.  Don't get me wrong, I am a strong believer in "less is more" and don't think that every wall should have something on it, but huge expanses of blank wall give me the decorating itch.  Currently, my upstairs hallway that is also part of my office is one huge blank wall.  In my mind, I've thought of many ways to decorate this wall, but I haven't yet...mostly because of budget and time.  Our bonus room/guest room/ play room walls are blank save for one- and it's a huge room.

Part of me wants to just find something that will fill the void and just get it over with, but a bigger part of me says wait.  Wait and let these rooms (and basically the whole house) evolve over time.  I want my home to be personal and I want the decor to reflect that.  I don't want random art that I just bought at a store because it matched the colors of my house (not that I am against buying a piece of art at a store like Target if you really like it).  This is really difficult for me, because I like things to get done.  With every house we have ever lived in, I have all the curtains hung by the second day.  I like the feeling of accomplishment.  But, I know that we will be in our new house for a very long time and I don't want to just finish all the decorating today so that next year I'll look at my house and think: hmmm, this isn't really me, this stuff is boring.  I want to find and gather items on vacations, outings with friends, and gifts from people and put those things in my house so that I can look at them and have a connection to them--whether they evoke memories of a place my family vacationed or whether it's from a loved one.

So, I'm waiting.  Waiting to be inspired and waiting to just happen to find something that I like enough to put a hole in my wall to hang it.

1 comment:

  1. I agree...better to wait. I have MANY blank walls in my house right now, partly due to time and partly due to not having what I want just yet. I'm with ya, and I'm waiting too. :)

    ReplyDelete