Saturday, May 21, 2011

The beach

So we are currently down in the Galveston area visiting my brother in law and his fiancee and we decided to make it a trip to the beach as well, since Jackson has been asking, literally, since last October to go the beach.  (he would ask once a week atleast).  So, we went this morning and it was fun.  for the kids.  Everytime I go to the beach, and it's not often, I realize that I really don't like the beach.

I like the beach in the hypothetical, anticipatory sense.  Sand, surf, waves, sun all sound like so much fun.  And maybe as a kid, it is fun.  As an adult?  Well, I just don't like getting dirty.  There's always sand everywhere when you go to the beach.  Even when you wash off, there's still sand on your feet so it inevitably makes its way into the car and onto everything that is in the car.  Towels are sandy and wet.  Then, there's the saltwater. It makes your skin and hair feel sticky and gross.  Your sunglasses get coated in a film of salt and saltwater.

All this doesn't mean we wont' ever go to the beach again, but it does make me realize that going to the beach is definitely a labor of love for our kids.  They had a blast and the only reason we got them to leave willingly was because they were hugely hungry from frolicking in the sand and surf.  Which brings me to the next part of the day, which has been my favorite so far.  We went and ate at a local place called the Mosquito Cafe.  It was awesome!  I love it when I find good places to eat.  It's a brunchy fresh food kind of place where everything on the menu looked good and everything coming out of the kitchen looked good.  I'm already planning on going back when we come down for the wedding in a couple months.  Next to the the Mosquito Cafe was a bakery called Patty Cakes, which we found out, was owned by the same people as the Mosquito Cafe--so it HAD to be good, right?  It was!  We ended up getting an entire chocolate cake!  Jackson got a special treat: a petit four!

Pictures to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment