Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Thoughts on a maid (housekeeper or whatever the PC term is these days)

Since I became a mommy, I've debated with myself and my husband about getting some help with cleaning around the house.  I haven't gotten a maid yet, but that's only because I'm too stubborn and my husband was too cheap to pay for one.  Well, now I'm not so stubborn (after adding yet another messy toddler into the mix) and my husband is not so cheap anymore (or rather, he is still cheap, but he values my sanity of mind more than the cost of a maid). 

I always used the reasoning that since I am a stay-at-home mom, then part of that job description including cleaning house.  I don't mind dusting, vacuuming, etc, but I loathe mopping the floors.  Unfortunately, that's the dirtiest part of my house and the quickest to get dirty too.  I also thought that our money could be better spent on something else besides having someone clean up after us.  What, I don't know.  I also kind of feel ashamed that I have someone cleaning up after my family.  We should all be able to clean up after ourselves, right?  I dunno. It makes me feel a bit like a failure if I hire a maid.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think others who have maids are failures- I think we all do what is right for our families and I have plenty of friends with maids who say that their family life is better because they have that much less stress about things to do around the house.

So now, anyway, in the stage of life we are in, I'm thisclose to hiring a maid.  What do you think?  Do you have one?  Do you love it?  Wish you would not have gotten one because now you can't give her up??

3 comments:

  1. We have one and always have. When we first got married, we decided that since we both worked full time, it wasn't for for one of us (me) to also have to clean the house. The idea was that once I stayed home with kids we'd get rid of the housekeeper, and it would be part of my job. We tried getting rid of her, but it was a disaster. So, I am a stay at home mom with a housekeeper. Sometimes I feel really silly and spoiled. But most of the time I am just REALLY grateful and so thankful that I don't have to do the cleaning :) I love it, and think it's totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HIRE ONE! If Jesse is on board...go for it! I know how you feel tho. I struggle with the same feelings of inadequacy!

    ReplyDelete