Wednesday, September 12, 2012

My first 5k

In somewhat related news to the previous post about my hunt for a bridesmaids dress, I have signed up for my very first 5K. I gave myself one month to train. I'm in week two of training and have run 3 to 4 miles two to three times per week. I am determined to not look like I need to go to the emergency room when the real 5K is over. I'm pretty proud of myself for the distances I have run so far, but have avoided posting the runs on Facebook because I loathe when my friends perkily post things like "just finished up a 10 mile run today uphill against the wind in 95 percent humidity!". Blech. Besides, my posts would be more along the lines of "just finished up a 4 mile run inside on the treadmill in the air conditioning with the fan blowing directly on me." As my husband likes to point out, my body was not made to be a distance runner. Long, lithe legs I have not. But I played sports all throughout my school years and ran lots then. I may not be the fastest or that freak woman who runs a marathon after giving birth two weeks before, but I think I'm doing pretty good with a 5K five months after my third baby. Plus, helps me look better in my Forever 21 bridesmaids dress.

So far:
- I remember how much I like the way running makes me feel afterwards.
-I enjoy rocking out to ridiculously peppy music on my iPod when running
-It feels good to just sweat like crazy (weird, I know).
-I find it weird that 4 miles one day can be so easy and two days later it can feel like I am running through mud with lead feet.
-I am thinking I might want to do a 5K every month or every other month. It's been a great motivator for me. There's no way I'd be running like this now if I didn't have a 5K coming up.

Go me!

No comments:

Post a Comment