Friday, October 15, 2010

I live in Chichen Itza

A friend of mine went to the Kimball Art Museum in Fort Worth to see an exhibit featuring the Mayan Culture.  She described her visit on her facebook page like this: 

blood, water, turtles, frogs, chocolate, blood sacrifice, jewelry, crocodiles, maize, canoes, conch shells, and ducks

I then realized that she could have been describing my house/life!  Minus the blood sacrifice, of course, unless you count the occassional bleeding stubbed toe as a result of tripping over toys...
But really, let's examine the parallels:
blood = at least every other day we are in need of a Diego, Lightning McQueen, or Dora bandaid.
water = my boy still asks to swim in his kiddie pool even though it's chilly outside and we also live on a lake
turtles = we have found numerous turtles in our backyard and my husband and son have tried to convince me to keep them and make a turtle "farm"
frogs = we find frogs/toads in the backyard too, not to mention the dehydrated frog carcass that I found one morning next to my coffee cup (thanks to my son)
chocolate = this is the element that I bring into the equation...I have to have my chocolate
jewelry = silly bandz...need I say more?
crocodiles = my son wanted to be a crocodile for Halloween, but I could not find a costume for him so I convinced him to be a shark, which he is excited about, thank goodness!
maize = this one is a stretch, but my baby is a messy eater and he loves corn, but I am picking the kernels up off the floor for days after he eats it
canoes = we have a little boat for our lake
conch shells = we don't live on the ocean, so technically no conch shells, but my son loves to play with snail shells and leave live ones on our picnic table (and thus, they leave their poop on the table....who knew snails pooped??? why wouldn't they, but I guess I never thought about it)
ducks = ducks live on our lake too.

The good thing about this strange parallel to the Mayas is that it keeps life interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment