Monday, October 11, 2010

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...


I am starting to think about Christmas decor.  Well, to be totally honest with you, I started thinking about Christmas decor the moment I knew we would be building our current house.  Neurotic???  Maybe.  But....let me explain:  Our Christmas tree will be in a room that has orange curtains and turquoise accents with a cowhide rug.  Tell me that you wouldn't be trying to figure out a Christmas decor that wouldn't clash with that this early in the season!  Last year I went with reds and natural colors because I gave up completely on breakable glass ornaments for the next 15 years when I realized that I would have a house full of boys.  This year, red is not going to look so hot next to the burnt orange curtains or the cowhide rug.  Also of concern is finding a secure perimeter fencing material to put around the tree so that my almost one year old will not destroy said tree.  I was trying to figure out why this is the first time I'm having to deal with this problem when I've had a baby this age before at Christmas time.  Then, I realized that we lived in Michigan then and I put the tree in our basement.  Problem solved.  However, no basements in TX!!!!!  Maybe I should hang our tree upside down from the ceiling...supposedly that's what a few designers were doing a couple years back--not sure that it really caught on...
Anyway, I've been scouring the internet and stores such as Hobby Lobby for ornaments that are pretty, go with a crazy colorscheme, and are non-breakable.  Doable?? We shall see.  Right now, I'm thinking silver and white is the way to go (along with all of Jackson's homemade ornaments as well).  I love a perfectly decorated tree with coordinating ornaments and beaded strands, but nothing is more special than a tree decorated with ornaments made by your children (atleast the cute ornaments--sadly, there are a few that don't make the cut--but we keep them in our art folder). So, I'll also have to figure a way to include those!

1 comment:

  1. You have a blog!!! So glad to have found it!!! Sometimes you FB status updates make me think we are leading very similar lives ;)

    ReplyDelete