Thursday, February 10, 2011

Dumb and stubborn

I made my very own ottoman for the very first time on Super Bowl Sunday (and finished it on Monday).  A friend who was over was impressed that I made it myself and said it was impressive.  I realized then, that my DIY projects are not really impressive.  I'm just dumb enough to try to make pretty much anything myself and stubborn enough to eventually figure it out after many many redos.  Sometimes, I get lucky and get it right the first time, like my sunburst mirror.  Then, there are projects like the ottoman.  I get an idea and go with it and get thisclose to the finish line and then BAM- failure.  In the case of the ottoman, the legs were not attached correctly so it was a little wobbly...and by a little wobbly, I mean it did not withstand the legs, arms, bodies, etc of two boys, a husband, and guests later that night.  So, that is why it took me into the next Monday to (ahem) re-engineer the darn thing.  I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. Having to redo it made it much much better looking in the end anyway.  I changed the style of leg on it and actually stained the legs before attaching them.  Also, after living with the thing for the past 5 days, I've learned that I must superglue the upholstery buttons on in addition to attaching them with thread to prevent little hands from pulling them off!  Sorry for the quality of the pics.  I took them at night because I couldn't wait to post them!

The legs part deux.


button tufts with the added protection of superglue...which should make them last about a whole month longer before being ripped off by my boys.

2 comments: