Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Why I LOVE Waco, TX!

My husband and I first moved to Waco back in 2001 so that I could attend Baylor Law school.  He found a job and I found myself with my nose in books for the next three years.  The first day we moved into our little duplex we started counting down the days until I graduated so we could move out of Waco and onward and upward to somewhere bigger and better.  Well, I graduated 3 years later, but we stayed in Waco another year and a half after that.  I had a good job right out of law school at the firm I had clerked for and my husband was a rockstar at his job that he'd taken initially just to pay the bills.  So we stayed.  Then, he got a promotion to Austin, TX, which is one of the coolest places to live, so we moved!  We were there for a year and then we moved to Traverse City, Michigan, again, for his job.  Two years later, when my husband was looking to start his own business, we narrowed down the places to live to two:  Austin or Waco.  I could not believe that Waco was in our top two!!  I was actually considering voluntarily moving back to Waco!  And we actually did!  But, as you can see from the list below, Waco is a pretty unique, and great place to live!  I don't regret moving back for one second!

5 great things about Waco:

1.  It's a big, small town.  It's not small enough that everyone knows everyone, but it's not too big that you get lost in the community here.  It's hard to not run into someone you know most days.

2.  Cheap cost of living.  Waco has comparatively low housing costs and unique areas in older parts of town that make the reality of owning big, nice, older homes a real possibility for the everyday person...not just the wealthy.

3.  Geography.  I'm admittedly bad at geography.  I once thought the Grand Canyon was in Texas... anyhoo... But, I do know that Waco is smack dab in the middle of Dallas and Austin.  Take your pick and go north or south on I-35 and in an hour and a half, you have great shopping and eating!

4.  It takes 20 minutes maximum to get anywhere in the Waco area.  I grew up in Dallas, where it takes 20 minutes minimum to get anywhere.

5.  College town, baby.  Waco is home to Baylor University, the largest Baptist university in the world.  Baylor is ever growing and expanding and bringing highly skilled, intellectual students and professionals to Waco.  NCAA sports at Baylor are among some of the best in the nation.  The Lady Bears basketball team is #1 in the country and the football team is just starting to take the Big XII by storm! The tennis teams are consistent winners and are bringing in lots of student athletes from Eastern Europe.

1 comment:

  1. A small little inkling in me kind if misses Waco when reading this! Not a lot of me, but a part! But, I miss my friends there big time!

    ReplyDelete