Friday, January 21, 2011

I've been reduced to an adjective.

The other day I was at the Y (note, it's no longer the YMCA, but who calls it the YMCA anymore...), and saw a couple of boys that belonged to a friend from church.  I hadn't seen them in a while and I said Hi and asked if they remembered who I was.  I thought that if they did, they might say, yeah, you're from church, or you're Miss Jenny.  Nope.  They said, "yeah, you're Jackson's mom."  Right then, it hit me, I am no longer ME.  I am Jackson/Sloan's mom. 

I'm okay with this, but it just kind of hit me all of a sudden that there is a whole portion of the world (those under the age of 12) that will only know me as "so-and-so's mom".  I'm not Jennifer Blackwell, Attorney, or Jenny Song from high school/college, or Jenny, a friend. I don't even get a name; I get a descriptive label.  I'll take it as a compliment that I'm fulfilling my calling as a mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment