Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Slow cooker Spinach lasagna!

If you're a busy mom like me, or just plain busy, then you probably LOVE slow cooker recipes!  Slow cooker lasagna is nothing new, but I'm not a fan of cooking meat before adding it to the slow cooker only to cook some more.  So, I came up with a VERY simple spinach lasagna.  This recipe is perfect for using whole wheat lasagna noodles because they cook for a long time so they are tender.  Enjoy and remember: my measurements are not always exact when I make up a recipe on the fly, so feel free to adjust as you see fit.

Ingredients:
- 1 box whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 large container low fat ricotta cheese (sorry, but I don't remember the size- maybe 1 qt?)
- 10 oz frozen spinach, thawed with water squeezed out.
- 2-3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- extra large can/jar prepared pasta sauce (I buy the cans of sauce on the bottom row at the store= they're like 89 cents and are really big)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup water


Directions:
1.  Spray slow cooker with cooking spray
2.  In a large bowl mix together ricotta cheese and spinach, adding salt and pepper to taste.
3.  Layer 3-4 lasagna noodles on bottom of slow cooker, breaking noodles to fit.
4.  Pour 1/3 of marinara sauce over noodles
5.  Spread 1/3 of ricotta/spinach mixture over noodles
6.  Sprinkle 1/3 of mozzarella over ricotta/spinach mix.
7.  Repeat steps 3-6 two more times, and top with a layer of lasagna noodles and extra 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella.
8. Pour 1 cup of water into slow cooker
9. Cook on low 3-4 hours.

1 comment:

  1. I made my first slow cooker lasanga (mine was spinach also) about 2 months ago! Turned out pretty good I thought. :)

    ReplyDelete